Leaving a shared flat

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

I have been living in a shared flat (a WG) for some time now. My flatmate and I both signed the rental agreement. My mate wants to keep the flat but I will be moving out to live with my girlfriend. How can I take my name off the rental agreement while allowing my mate to keep the contract on the flat?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Unfortunately for you, because you signed a joint rental agreement, the only way to terminate the rental agreement is for both you and your flatmate to terminate it together.

Once the current rental contract has been terminated, your flatmate and the landlord can agree on a new rental agreement. If you find someone who wants to rent the apartment with your flatmate, they can apply for a contract along with your flatmate.

Of course, there is the chance that your landlord will not agree to a new contract if they have a better tenant lined up or if your flatmate's individual income is not sufficient. Because of this, you should proceed with care and discuss the situation with your landlord in advance.

If your flatmate's income alone is too low to cover the rent (Swiss landlords usually expect your gross income to be 3 times the rent), make sure to find another co-renter who can take your place and make up the deficit.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Insurance for shared homes
Subletting your rental home: 10 guidelines
8 ways to up your chances of being approved for home rentals in Switzerland
Rental deposit insurance: 11 tips