Liability for young children in Switzerland

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

My boys (4 and 5) walk to kindergarten and back on their own and sometimes stop and play along the way. I always drove them to playgroup before we move to Switzerland but the school here pushes letting your kids walk to school on their own. My boys are both pretty adventurous so my question is, if the boys were to dent a parked car or mess up someone's garden along the way, would I be responsible?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

Parents are responsible to supervise their children within reasonable limits. However, these limits do not extend to accompanying children everywhere they go. When damages occur depsite parents' best efforts to fulfill their due dilligence obligations, liability for damages rests with the child.

Children which are capable of good judgement (normally 9 years old and older) may be required to pay at least part of the cost of damages themselves. But very young children are not considered to be capable of good judgement cannot normally be held liable for damages which they inflict.

Some personal liability insurance policies cover damages caused by young children. If you have personal liability insurance, check the terms and conditions of your policy to find out whether it covers these damages.

In any case, liability does not rest with you as long as you meet your obligation to supervise your children within reasonable limits. If your insurance does not cover damages, the owners of the damaged property will have to take the loss.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Personal liability insurance comparison