Loans from a Private Individual/ Friend Inquiry

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• Benutzernamekw
  • OrtZurich
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit3/10/24
  • Beiträge1

Hi Forum folks, 

I am Swiss-based and planning to take a loan from a friend (who also lives in Switzerland). We plan to draw up a contract with clear terms, which should make the whole borrowing straight forward. However, I want to confirm if there will be any tax I will be liable for if I'm borrowing this money? I read that if I get a personal loan, I can include it as a loan / liability in my next tax declaration and in fact lower the payment of my taxes, but I just wanted to confirm given that this will be a personal arrangement. 

Thanks, 

K

• BenutzernameGareththegreat
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/24/17
  • Beiträge19

It's very straightforward.

• You as the borrower can deduct the interest you pay for the loan from your taxable income.
  • Your friend as the lender must declare the interest earned from the loan as taxable income.

It's a good thing that you are creating a loan agreement. Your friend should also give you an annual statement showing the remaining debt and the amount of interest paid over the past tax year. You can give this to the tax office as proof.