Moving away from Switzerland without losing social security benefits

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

I have decided to follow my heart and move to the United States. Having visited the US before, I know that the system there is not quite as sociable as the Swiss system. That is why I would like to continue enjoying the Swiss social security benefits like health insurance and unemployment insurance after I move to the US. Is it possible to keep my Swiss benefits after leaving Switzerland?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

While you lose many social security benefits when you leave Switzerland, there are a number of steps you can take to keep part of these benefits.

1. International health insurance. The solidarity-based compulsory health insurance only covers you as long as you live in Switzerland. When you relocate to another country, you can take out international health insurance from a Swiss insurer to continue enjoying a similar level of coverage. Bear in mind that this is a supplementary health insurance policy, so insurers can reject your application if they have good reason to do so.

2. Social security old-age and survivors insurance. You can continue contributing to your old-age and survivors insurance from Swiss social security provided you were registered with a social security office in Switzerland for at least 5 years before moving abroad. You are required to pay contributions equal to 9.8% of your income. This is because you cover the full contributions yourself, rather than splitting them with an employer as you would if you worked in Switzerland.

3. Welfare. In some cases, you can request Swiss welfare subsidies through the Swiss embassy in your country of residence. However, these are normally only granted to Swiss citizens who have lived in the foreign country for a significant amount of time.

Once you relocate, you will no longer be able to benefit from Swiss unemployment insurance, occupational accident insurance, compulsory health insurance, 3a retirement saving, 2a pension funds, and many more social security and insurance coverages.

You should look into getting covered by local insurance providers or social security in your country of residence.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Leaving Switzerland? 7 Important Financial Questions Answered