My Swiss personal liability insurance won't pay damages from my sports tournament

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

Hi peeps,

I just ran into a bit of snag with my Swiss insurance company. During a football match I accidentally stepped on my team mate's expensive glasses. I didn't worry much because I have personal liability insurance - but the insurance company refused to pay the claim.

I don't understand much about insurance pranks but this seems to be one. Isn't paying the costs of accidents the whole reason why you get insurance?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

Swiss insurance providers often include sporting activities in their lists of coverage exclusions. The logic behind this exclusion is that sports participants are generally aware of the increased risk associated with sports, and therefore take on the risk voluntarily.

However, this is not the case with all insurance providers. If you engage in sports often, consider finding a personal liability insurance policy which does not exclude sporting events from coverage.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Guide to insurance for ski enthusiasts
Guide to insurance for extreme sports enthusiasts