No reply from insurance company - am I still covered?

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

I recently wrote my Swiss household insurance company and asked them to add covereage for the things I carry with me when I travel. That was some months ago and I still haven't heard back from them. On my last trip some of my photographic equipment was stolen and I feel it is unfair that I have to take the hit just because the insurance company never bothered getting back to me about adding the coverage I asked for. Is there anything I can do?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

The same rule applies to insurance applications as applies to many other types of agreements. Insurance companies should deny applications within 14 days. If an application is not denied within this timeframe, then it is approved by default from a legal perspective.

However, this only applies if the insurance company receives your communication. The onus rests on you to insure that the communication is delivered correctly. Sending applications by registered letter or delivering them to an insurance office yourself in exchange for a receipt will help you prove the fact and date of your application.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Interactive insurance comparison tools