Paid holiday in Switzerland - four or five weeks?

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

When I moved to Switzerland I assumed my holiday entitlements would be the same as they were when I worked for the same company in the U.S. (1 week paid vacation per year as a special employee benefit).

Since coming here though, I have heard rumours of 4 or 5 weeks of paid vacation being required by Swiss laws. Both seem too good to be true, so I wanted to confim if there is such a thing as legally required paid vacations and if so, do I get 4 weeks, 5 weeks or neither of these?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

Employees in Switzerland are entitled to 4 weeks of paid vacation in addition to public holidays. This applies to full-time and part-time employees, as well as people employed on an hourly basis. Employees under the age of 20 are entitled to 5 weeks of paid vacation.

Employers may choose to compensate employees financially by paying out their holiday entitlement (with their monthly salary, for example) if this is more practical - as is often the case with hourly employees.

Best regards from Moneyguru