Pillar 2 and 3 withdrawal (retiring): UK tax question

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameSandy_57
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit6/23/22
  • Beiträge1

Hi, I'm finding it hard to get a simple answer to this question so I hope someone can help! I have just retired (age 65) and am leaving Switzerland to return to the UK shortly. I have about 200K in a Pillar 2 vested account and 70K in a Pillar 3 account, both with VIAC. I know about transferring to a lower tax Kanton, and I know I will pay withholding tax when I withdraw the money. My question is whether I also then pay UK tax on the transfer to my UK bank account? I have read that I can claim back the withholding tax paid in Switzerland, but I don't want to do that if this means I then have to pay UK tax -- as the Swiss tax is certain to be lower. Thanks.

• Benutzernameharold
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/24/17
  • Beiträge58

Hi Sandy. Here's a (hopefully) simple answer to your question:

The double taxation agreement between Switzerland and the UK (Article 18.2) seems pretty clear that you should only pay the Swiss withholding tax and not UK taxes.

But since the amounts involved are not low, I highly recommend enquiring with Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs.