Planning Swiss retirement savings and pension fund withdrawals to save on taxes

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

I am getting older and want to know how I should go about getting my Swiss 3a and 2a retirement savings paid out in order to pay the least taxes possible. What should I consider from a tax perspective? Thanks.

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

Planning the withdrawal of your retirement asset in advance can help you avoid spending a lot of money on unnecessary taxes.

For one thing, placing your third pillar retirement savings in several 3a bank accounts and insurance policies can help you save. This is because after you reach the age at which you can withdraw your 3a assets, closing your different accounts over several years prevents you from receiving a single, large payment which would bump you up into higher income tax and wealth tax brackets.

The rate at which your retirement savings are taxed varies between cantons. If you retire in Switzerland, the taxes you pay are determined by your place of residence.

If you retire outside of Switzerland, a source tax will be levied on withrawals of both private retirement assets (3a) and occupational pension fund assets (2a). This tax varies between cantons, so moving your 2a pension fund assets to a pension scheme in a canton with a low source tax can help you save a lot of money.

The same holds true for 3a assets: transferring your 3a assets to banks in a low-tax canton can save you money when you withdraw your assets before leaving Switzerland.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Interactive 3a retirement account comparison
Swiss bank accounts for seniors