Private pension fund for housewives?

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

I work full time for a Swiss employer and my payments for social security and my pension fund are taken straight off my salary. My wife takes care of our kids these days and it will probably be a while before she can get into the Swiss job market. Is there some way we can get a pension fund for her so she can remain financially independant?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

While your spouse's social security contributions are covered as long as you pay at least double the minimum annual social security contribution, getting an additional retirement solution is advisable.

If your spouse earns little or no income, they will not be able to use 3a retirement solutions or voluntary 2b pension fund solutions. The only viable retirement savings solutions which they can use entirely independantly of you are accounts, life annuities, retirement funds and life insurance policies which fall under the 3b category of private retirement savings.

Although contributions to 3b savings are not tax deductible like 1a, 2a and 3a contributions, they can be withdrawn on a tax-preferred basis when your spouse reaches retirement age.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
3a and 3b life insurance comparison
Vested benefits account comparison
3a retirement account comparison