SBB day pass from municipality

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

Someone told me that I can get an SBB day pass for half the normal price from my Gemeinde / Commune. If that is true I will feel so cheated, but it would still be good news as I use day passes almost every weekend to travel Switzerland.

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

Many Swiss municipalities offer SBB day passes at discount rates. Typically these are offered to municipal residents, but some municipalities allow non-residents to purchase day passes as well.

Typically, SBB train passes from municipalities cost around CHF 40 - a full CHF 35 less than the CHF 75 which you pay to buy a day pass directly from the SBB. Another major benefit is that you can get these day passes even if you do not have an SBB half-fare card, which saves that expense.

The day passes offered can only be used on a specific date. Because the number of passes offered is limited, it is a good idea to reserve passes well ahead of time. This can be done at your municipal office. Many Swiss municipalities also let you make reservations online on their websites.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Travel Inside Switzerland: What is the Cheapest Way to Get Around?
Expats In Switzerland: 7 Financial Tips For Newcomers