Social security contributions for unemployment insurance recipients

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

My company informed me that I will be let go in three months time. I expect to receive unemployment money for several months after that before I find another job. How will my old age pension and other social security insurances be affected? Can I keep making AHV contributions to avoid gaps in my pension?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

When you are unemployed and receive benefits from compulsory unemployment insurance, your social security contributions will be paid in much the same way as they are when you are employed. The unemployment insurance office covers half of contributions and deducts the remaining half from your benefits.

It is worth noting that in some cantons (namely Solothurn, Thurgau, Ticino and Appenzell Ausserrhoden) unemployed persons may be required to pay child benefit scheme contributions on top of their regular social security contributions. The reason for this is that in most cantons, child benefit scheme contributions are covered entirely by employers. When you become unemployed, your contributions can no longer be covered by an employer, so they must be covered by you.