Social security contributions when traveling

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

After returning to Switzerland after more than a year of traveling, I was surprised to find a 478 franc bill from the social security office. I was not even working or living in Switzerland during the time period they billed me for. Do I have to pay that bill?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Yes. Unless you have deregistered in Switzerland and taken up primary residence in another country, you are still liable to pay Swiss social security contributions.

If you do not earn any income during the years affected by your travels, your minimum required social security payment will be based on your taxable wealth. Even if have little or no taxable wealth, you will still need to make a minimum contribution.

On the other hand, if you work for at least several months out of each affected year, the contributions deducted from your salary may cover the minimum contribution.