Studying in the city, insured at home?

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

I stay in the city during the week and am registered as a "Wochenaufenthalter". I also work 30%. How does this affect my household and liability insurance? Does my parent's household and liability coverage still cover me? Does it need to be extended? Do I need to get my own insurance?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

Personal liability insurance policies generally cover an individual or a family. The locations in which incidents occur are not the deciding factor. You can remain covered by your family's personal liability insurance for as long as your family's home continues to be your primary residence and you remain single and unemployed.

Part-time employment of 30% will not normally qualify you as an employed person, but the exact definition of "employed" can vary between insurance providers. A good first step is to have your parents either review their policy carefully or contact their insurance provider and explain the situation. If there is any doubt about coverage, consider getting your own personal liability insurance policy.

Household insurance generally covers a specific property. Unless you have optional coverage against simple theft away from home, only personal property kept in your primary residence is covered against theft. If you stay in shared housing or a boarding house, ask your host if their household insurance covers all members of the commune. You can learn more in our guide to insurance for shared housing.

Best regards from Moneyguru