Swiss car insurance - Optional rider for driving other people's cars

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

Hi,

I saw that my insurance company offers a special rider which covers "Driving another person's car" and it caught my attention. I do drive other people's cars sometimes. Should I add this rider to my car insurance? What does it cover?

Thanks

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

Many Swiss liability insurance providers offer optional insurance against liability for borrowed vehicles. This insurance for driving third-party vehicles comes as an optional rider which can be added to your personal liability insurance policy for an extra premium.

It covers the cost of damages to borrowed cars as well as deductibles and the cost of premium increases after an accident.

This insurance only applies when you do not borrow the same car too often. The exact limit on how many days out of each calendar year you can drive a car and still be covered vary between policies. For example, you may only be covered for use of third-party vehicles a maximum of 21 days per calendar year.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Personal liability insurance comparison
Swiss car insurance comparison