Swiss custody accounts US person

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.
  • BenutzernameMoneyland-Nutzer-Fragen
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/30/17
  • Beiträge843


I am an American and have lived in Switzerland for over 30 years.

My bank UBS has informed me they will not hold my wife’s Novartis stocks. We do not have sufficient funds to move them to whatever special account the UBS has created, so I am looking to open an online account and depositing them.

Can you advise me. 


  • BenutzernameMoneyguru von
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4017

Dear Sir,

You need a custody account to hold stocks. 

If you are looking for a Swiss custody account, you can find it with the Swiss broker comparison on 

If domiciled in the United States of America, you can open a custody account at few Swiss banks only though. In this case, you may better choose an international or US broker.

Be aware that Swiss banks charge high fees for securities transfers.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More information:
Online broker comparison
Swiss custody fees compared
Bank transfer fees compared