Swiss Giro Account for German Customers

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

Dear sir/madame,

I find the tools on your website very helpful.

Unfortunately I have not been able to find out which accounts are available to German citizens using your banking comparisons. I am German and would like to open a giro account in Switzerland. Please send me a link to the relevant information.

Thank you in advance.

With kind regards

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

It is technically possible for Germans residing in Germany to open a Swiss private account. However, many Swiss banks add hefty non-resident fees to standard account fees for customers who reside outside of Switzerland. These non-resident fees are not accounted for in the moneyland.ch private account comparison.

These fees can make holding a Swiss bank account as a non-reseident expensive. The average non-resident fee for residents of Germany is 300 francs per year. Fees vary between banks, with some banks charging lower non-resident fees to residents of countries which border Switzerland. Some banks drop non-resident fees for customers who hold a substantial amount of money in their accounts or use asset management services. A handful of banks do not charge non-resident fees at all. Most stock brokerage banks do not charge non-resident fees.

You can find a good overview of the non-resident fees charged by Swiss banks in the moneyland.ch guide to non-resident fees. You can receive a comparison as a PDF by entering your email address in the field at the bottom of the article and clicking on "Request free PDF".

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Swiss private account comparison