Swiss health insurance medicine coverage

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

Can you tell me whether Swiss health insurance also covers the cost of medicines? Are some medicines covered by my obligatory insurance and some by my voluntary health insurance?

Thanks

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Greetings,

Compulsory Swiss health insurance covers medicines which are included in the List of Pharmaceutical Specialties maintained by the Federal Office of Public Health. When a generic alternative is available, only 80% of the non-generic counterpart is covered.

Supplementary health insurance policies may cover the cost of medicines which are not listed on the List of Pharmaceutical Specialties and provide additional coverage for non-generic medicines. They may also cover the cost of complementary medicine.

However, the exact coverage for medicines differs between individual supplementary insuance policies and is listed on individual information pages in the supplemental health insurance comparison.

So to answer your question: Yes, some medicines are covered by your basic health insurance policy and others may be covered by your supplemental health insurance policies.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Compulsory Swiss health insurance: Overview of coverage
Supplemental health insurance comparison