Swiss Pension After Divorce

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask this question. If it isn't I would appreciate a tip on where I might be able to get further info regarding my question.

I am an USA citizen. I was married in Switzerland to a Swiss citizen in 1973. We came the United States in 1978. We had two children born in the USA. We divorced in 1993. Our children were ages 10 and 8 at the time. My wife went back to Switzerland with our children at the time of divorce after 20 years of marriage.

I am now 71 years of age. I receive 750 Sfr per year in old age pension. My ex wife (67 years of age) receives substantially more. According to our children she has cashed out part of her pension in a lump sum payment for more than 200,000 Sfr. In addition, she still receives substantial payments each month.

My question is simply am I entitled to any of her Swiss old age pension?

Thank you very much

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

According to Swiss law, pension fund assets are split at the time of divorce. You do not hold claim to any benefits which are accumulated by your former spouse after the divorce has been finalized.

If you lived in Switzerland for any significant amount of time, you may be entitled to a Swiss social security pension. This pension is linked to your having lived in Switzerland and not to your having been married to a Swiss citizen. This pension must be claimed. If you believe you may be entitled to a Swiss social security pension and you have not yet claimed it, you can request information and application forms at this address:

Schweizerischen Ausgleichskasse
Av. Edmond-Vaucher, 18
Case Postale 3100
CH-1211 Genève 2
Tel : +41(0)58 461 91 11
Fax : +41(0)58 461 97 05
E-mail: sedmaster(@)zas.admin.ch
Web: www.zas.admin.ch/zas/de/home/particuliers.html