Swiss pension fund for self-employed from an professional association?

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

Hi there,

I heard that some Swiss professional associations or industry associations offer occupational pension plans (second pillar) for self-employed persons. Is that true? I am self employed and am looking for a way to join a pension fund. I would be happy to pay membership fees to join an association if it lets me do that.

Kind regards

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Greetings,

A number of Swiss preofessional associations provide pillar 2 pension plans for self-employed individuals. Voluntary pillar 2 pension savings are generally classified as "2b", but effectively benefit from the same conditions as 2a occupational pension savings.

However, unless you have other reasons for joining a professional association, you should consider the cost of membership fees. Depending on how much you earn, placing your money in a 3a retirement savings account, or a 3a retirement fund may be a better financial move. Self-employed people who do not participate in pillar 2 pension funds can make fairly large, tax-deductible contributions to 3a retirement savings.

Best regards from Moneyguru