Swiss pension funds deficit

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

I just got a letter from my Swiss pension fund informing me about a deficit in the pension fund. What does this mean? Are there negative consequences for me as a member?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

Deficits in Swiss pillar 2 pension funds occur when the fund no longer holds enough assets to cover pensions and benefits. Deficits may be temporary if they are caused by simple fluctuations in the value of investments. But they may also be ongoing if the pension fund makes a loss.

When pension funds make a loss, they are allowed to stop paying interest on voluntary contributions (not compulsory contributions) until they regain solvency. A further measure to regain solvency is charging their members additional fees. If those measures fail to fill the deficit, pension funds may reduce the interest rate for compulsory contributions to as far as 0.5% below the minimum interest rate stipulated by law.

Best regards from Moneyguru