Swiss pension splitting after short marriage

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

After nearly two rocky years of marriage, my ex and I finally decided to call it quits. I was just informed that I am not entitled to half of the pension savings he tucked away over the time we were married. That sucks because he is a big earner and I was unemployed during that time. Funny thing is that everyone tells me that the money should be split. Did the AHV office get it wrong?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

In this case, the social security office is correct about your not being able to split your ex-husband's pension.

Social security retirement savings splitting does not apply to contributions which were made the year in which you get married and the year in which you get divorced. Only contributions made during additional full years of marriage are split between two spouses after a divorce.

If you get married one year and divorced the next, contributions made during both of those years will not be split, as per article 29 of the Swiss law on old-age and survivors insurance.

Best regards from Moneyguru