Swiss quellensteuer

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.
  • BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

I have been employed in Switzerland for a few years and so far my taxes have just been taken off my salary. This year I received a stack of tax forms from the tax bureau and I am not sure what to make of it. Why would they send me tax return forms now?

  • BenutzernameMoneyguru von
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4016

Hi there,

Withholding tax or tax at source is deducted directly from the salaries of people who work in Switzerland but only hold temporary residence.

If you gain permanent residence (C permit), marry a Swiss citizen or permanent resident, or earn a high income, you will have to file tax returns and pay tax yourself. Your taxes will no longer be deducted from your salary.

You can find detailed information in the guide to Swiss withholding tax for temporary residents and cross-border workers.

Best regards from Moneyguru