Swiss Unemployment Insurance for Difference in Salary

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

Hello Moneyland team,

I have a question about unemployment insurance. When I first moved to Switzerland I had a job that paid CHF 100k per year. After the company restructured I was unemployed for a couple months and have now been offered a new job with a lower salary (80k) in a completely different line of work.

I love the idea of working in a completely new field and after working in bit corporations for a decade the small business environment is a welcome change. But I would obviously be glad to earn closer to what I used to earn.

From discussions with Swiss veterans I understand that the unemployment insurance should pay the difference between my current salary and my previous salary if I am unable to find a job in my field of expertise with a similar salary.

Can I expect to receive 80% of the CHF 20k difference between my new salary and my old one for as long as I work at my new job. That would take my total income up to CHF 96k, which would be a more realistic income over the long term. I would like to know whether or not I can claim this before accepting the new position and meeting the RAV people.

As much as I would rather be employed, it would hardly be worth accepting a job for the same income I receive from unemployment insurance.

I look forward to your reply and am keeping my fingers crossed for a positive reply smiley.

Thank you and kind regards

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

Swiss compulsory unemployment insurance covers 70% to 80% of the difference between the lower salaries which you earn for temporary employment and your last insured salary until you can find employment which matches your insured salary.

In order for a job to be classified as temporary employment for unemployment insurance purposes, you must remain registered with the unemployment office, continue to particpate in courses and programs assigned to you and meet job application requirements. It may be difficult to juggle unemployment office demands with a fulltime job. You will also be required to accept offers for employment with higher salaries.

If you do not meet the stipulations put forth by the unemployment office or if you in any way indicate that the view you current employment as permanent, then you will not be eligible to receive the benefits for the difference between your current salary and your insured salary.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Interim accident insurance explained