Swiss Widow in Ireland

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• Benutzernameceliaanderson
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit7/21/17
  • Beiträge1

I came across this great forum while reading the Swiss Newsletter and thought I'd ask for information as you seem to be very informed about the subjects. Thank you in advance for any feedback. 

I'm living in Ireland for many years. My husband passed away in 2003 and I've been receiving a Swiss pension around the amount of €500 per month from what I understand was paid in. I find it rather difficult to make ends meet and was wondering if there is any other pension that I am able to apply for or financial help in any way. 

Thank you again and look froward to hearing from you. 

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

In addition to your survivors pension from social security, you may be entitled to a pension from your late husband's occupational pension fund as well. If you are not already receiving this, you can enquire directly at the last Swiss pension fund which your husband participated in or at the Substitute Occupational Benefit Institution:

Stiftung
Auffangeinrichtung BVG
Management
Weststrasse 50
8003 Zurich

Unfortunately, individuals residing outside of Switzerland are not entitled to OASI supplementary benefits.

If you were to relocate to Switzerland, on the other hand, you could apply for supplementary benefits to make up the difference between your pension income and what is considered to be a reasonable old-age income. These supplementary benefits are not welfare and can be applied for even if you own property or have savings.

If you experiencing acute financial difficulties, it is also worth noting that Swiss citizens residing outside of Switzerland are entitled to welfare if they meet eligibility requirements. If certain criteria are met, you can receive welfare subsidies in your country of residence. This is true, for example, if you have spent a significant portion of your life in that country. You can enquire about this at the relevant Swiss embassy or consulate.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Don’t Forget Your Retirement Savings!