Swiss widow’s pension from divorced husband?

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

I was married for more than 10 years before divorcing. My ex-husband just passed on and I am curious as to whether I can receive a widow’s pension from his social security office.

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

It is possible to receive a Swiss widow’s pension even if you are divorced from your late ex-husband. You need to meet the following requirements to be eligible:

1. You have children and you were married to your ex-husband for at least 10 years OR...

2. You were older than 45 years old at the time of divorce and had been married for 10 years or more OR...

3. Your youngest child turned 18 years old after you turned 45 years old.

A widow’s pension is equal to 80% of the old-age pension which your husband would have been eligible for.

If you have a child which has not yet turned 18, you can receive a widow’s rent until their eighteenth birthday – even if you do not fulfill the requirements stated above. After the child turns 18 you will no longer receive a widow’s pension.