Tax deduction for supporting adult child

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.
  • BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

My son and his wife have been having a rough time finding his bearing financially. I've been supporting him monthly and am wondering if I can deduct the money I give him from my taxable income. Is this a possibility?

  • BenutzernameMoneyguru von
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4017

Hi there,

There are allowances for deducting money used to support another person from your taxable income for both federal, cantonal, and municipal tax purposes. However, there are a lot of regulations governing this deduction and these vary between cantons.

As a general rule, you will be required to show proof that the person whom you supported lives on an income below the cantonal minimum existence level. The recipient must be classified as a low income earner at the time that you file your tax returns for you to be eligible for this deduction.

The money given to each recipient as support must equal or exceed a minimum amount in order to be claimed as a deduction. A deduction of CHF 6500 can be applied to Swiss federal taxes if you give out at least that amount to a low-income individual in support in a tax year. If you support several individuals with at least that minimum amount, you can claim this deduction for each eligible recipient.

The per-recipient tax deduction for cantonal and municipal taxes varies between municipalities. In the City of Lucerne, for example, you must provide at least CHF 2600 in support to a low-income individual to claim the CHF 2600 tax deduction.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Swiss tax forum