Tax deductions for alimony grown children

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.
  • BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

I have been paying alimony for the care of my children since divorcing 3 years ago. My oldest will be 18 this year and my second will turn 18 next year. Can I continue to claim the tax deduction for the children after they turn 18?

  • BenutzernameMoneyguru von
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4016

Hi  there,

After a child for which you are paying alimony reaches the age of 18, you will no longer be able to claim the tax deduction for alimony payments. However, if the child continues to study after turning 18, the parent who supports the child financially can claim the deduction for children undergoing their initial education.

Best regards from Moneyguru