Taxes charged on gifts received from another country

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• Benutzernameparishiltonwanabe
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/24/17
  • Beiträge5

My mother-in-law in law (who lives in Sweden) sent us a parcel of toys for the children last Christmas. When the package arrived, I had to pay a pretty penny to the courier for “taxes” in order to receive the package. In this case, I probably spent almost as much on those charges as what the toys were actually worth. What is the deal? Any help appreciated.

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Swiss customs laws allow gifts up to the value of CHF 100 to be imported duty-free. However, it is very important that the package is clearly marked as a gift and that the contents and their value are clearly invoiced on the outside of the package. If not, customs duties, courier fees for added administration and VAT will apply. These are collected by the post office or courier along with postage or courier fees.