Terminating a mortgage

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

I would like to terminate my mortgage. How should I go about this? What should I watch out for?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Greetings,

The first thing you need to pay attention to is the mortgage term (fixed and LIBOR mortgages). When you use a fixed mortgage, the interest rate is fixed for a certain period of time.

In principle, any mortgage can be terminated ahead of schedule, including a fixed mortgage. However, by terminating a fixed mortgage you will normally incur penalty charges. These may include an early-termination fee, administrative fees and a charge equal to the interest which would have been paid over the loan term.

The high cost of terminating mortgages usually invalidate the savings potential of switching to a cheaper mortgage. This makes refinancing before the end of your loan term a bad financial move in most cases, although you need to judge each case individually.

Variable mortgages can generally be terminated after a relativel short notice period (often just 6 months).

Best regards from Moneyguru
Mortgages: What will an early exit cost you?
Mortgage comparison