UBS custody account

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

I received UBS shares as a gift. I currently keep 150 of them at UBS and 50 at Postfinance. I would like to transfer the whole lot to UBS. Is that a good idea? How high are the custody fees at these two banks? I haven't received any bill yet.

Thanks for your feedback

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

Comparing custodian banks is important because the cost of custody account varies widely. Large banks in particular often charge high fees for custody accounts.

Postfinance has also begun charging annual custodial fees for its custody accounts. The fee you pay is credited towards transaction fees, but this only benefits you if you trade fairly regularly.

You can compare the costs of custody accounts using the interactive broker comparison on moneyland.ch. The comparison includes both UBS and Postfinance.

Some brokers charge very low custodial fees or none at all, so transferring all of your shares to a low-cost custodian bank could make financial sense.

Important: When you transfer securities from one custody account to another, you may pay transfer fees. These fees are charged on a per-stock basis rather than a per-share basis, which means that if you only have UBS stock, you only pay one transfer fee. If you have shares in several companies, you will pay a separate transfer fee for each batch of shares.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Custodial fees at Swiss banks compared