UBS vs. Credit Suisse

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• Benutzernamevishna
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/24/17
  • Beiträge3

Does anyone have experience with one or (ideally) with both of these Swiss banks. How is the customer service at UBS and Credit Suisse? Which provides more flexibility and lower costs. I know that both bank offer a lot of different services and operate internationally, but I would value real-life, first-hand experience much more than the basic information on the websites. Many thanks in advance.

• Benutzernamethetownclownsa
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/25/17
  • Beiträge87

I have never used UBS, but I have used Credit Suisse for several years now. These are the pros and cons of Credit Suisse, in my opinion.

Credit Suisse pros:

1. Countrywide branches. The only bank which may have a similar number of branches is probably UBS. You can go anywhere in Switzerland and find a Credit Suisse branch. There's even a branch in Zurich Airport which is open on weekends - a complete anomaly for Switzerland. Employees are friendly and competent.
  2. Cash handling services. Credit Suisse branches generally have multiple cash desks for deposits, withdrawals, cash management and money changing. You can withdraw up to 30k in cash without notice. If you like using cash or if you handle a lot of cash in your business, this is a major benefit.
  3. High-yield accounts for children. The Viva Kids savings accounts for children up to 12 years old yield 5% interest on the first 1000 francs and 0.5% on the excess. The Viva Kids accounts also come with a budget management software/hardware solution for teaching children financial management. Youth accounts (kids over 12) yield 0.5% interest and give your kids discounts at cinemas.
  4. American Express Platinum. If you want the special benefits (i.e. airport lounge access) of the American Express Platinum Card, you get better value getting the it with the Bonviva Platinum package than getting it alone.
  5. Good online banking. The online banking is easy to use with all the standard options and a good overview of all accounts. I've never had trouble with logging in.
  6. Good customer support. Unlike most Swiss banks which only provide support during standard business hours, Credit Suisse support is available on evenings and part of the weekend as well.

Credit Suisse cons:

1. High fees. You pay 60 francs per year for a standard checking account - plus an additional debit card fee if you want a debit card. Credit Suisse also charges you fees for some transactions when you order them at a branch office instead of online. For example, you pay 5 francs to set up a standing order at a bank branch. That's sad, because it kind of detracts from the benefit of being able to bank in person. Credit card fees are high. Investment solutions are relatively expensive.
  2. Low interest. Interest rates on adult savings accounts are not great. If you have 250,000 francs, the 1000 francs (0.4% p.a.) interest you earn on savings with the Bonviva Platinum package will leave you a 40-franc yield after you pay the 960-franc annual fee for the package. At least you get a Platinum Amex card "for free" if you have 250k to keep in a savings account. If you don't, do yourself a favor and keep the money in your kids accounts where it will earn reasonable interest.

Hope this helps.