US Withholding Tax on Stocks?

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

Hello,

I am Swiss and am considering opening an account with Ameritrade in the US in order to take advantage of the lower costs and more trading options. Right now, I have custody accounts at UBS and Swissquote.

Just to test it out, I tried opening an Ameritrade account and saw that I have to complete a W-8BEN form for the US tax authorities and submit this along with my account application.

The country I live in has to be stated on the form, and it says that my information will be exchanged with that country.

These are my questions:

In Switzerland, stocks are taxed as wealth (and have to be declared as wealth in tax returns).

• Does that apply in exactly the same way when my broker is in the US?
  • Do I have to pay tax in the US as well? If so, what does that process involve?
  • Which information will be exchanged (if information is exchanged)?

Thank you for your reply. It would be helpful to know what I am getting into.

I imagine other users may have the same question.

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Money generated by dividends on US stocks is subject to a 30% US withholding tax. This is reduced to 15% as per the tax treaty between the United States and Switzerland when the Swiss tax resident submits the required form (W-8BEN) to the US Internal Revenue Service.

The remaining 15% US withholding tax can be reclaimed by submitting an R-US 164 form and a DA-1 form to the Swiss tax office along with your tax return.

• Benutzernamepaipor
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit8/28/20
  • Beiträge2

Hi,

Anybody with experience selling US shares through an online broker like Degiro?

Do you know if a withholding tax (like the one for dividends) is applied when you sell US stocks (for non-US citizens living in Switzerland)?

• BenutzernameChris_
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit10/4/19
  • Beiträge48

Hi paipor

I have no personal experience with it, but I am quite sure: Withholding tax only applies to income such as interest or dividends. If you sell US shares through Degiro, you do not have to pay any taxes (exception: the Swiss tax authorities consider you a professional trader).

Note: When you sell shares Degiro charges you a transaction fee (brokerage) and stock exchange taxes are also payable.