VAT for online shopping

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

I shop at online stores outside of Switzerland and many of them charge the local VAT in Germany, UK, Italy etc. automatically when I check out. I then pay Swiss VAT again when the stuff is delivered. All in all I get a rough deal. I know that a few big online stores give the option of not paying local VAT, but those are limited. How can I avoid paying two VATs?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

Unlike goods which you transport across the border yourself - which (with some exclusions) must only be taxed when their combined value exceeds CHF 300 - merchandise delivered via mail or courier from outside of Switzerland is subject to Swiss value added tax (VAT) when the value of a consignment exceeds CHF 5. Tax is collected by couriers on behalf of the Swiss government.

How VAT is levied by foreign merchants is based on VAT regulations in the country in which they are domiciled. If foreign merchants do not make VAT refund forms available online or automatically exclude local VAT for international purchases, try contacting the merchant's customer service and requesting that they exclude the local VAT or refund it based on your residence in Switzerland.

Best regards from Moneyguru
VAT explained
Store credit cards compared
9 Ways to Save on Groceries in Switzerland