Veterinary costs for animal I don't own

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

A few weeks back I found a cat which had obviously been hit by a moving vehicle and I took it to the vet for care. The vet then took the cat to an animal shelter. Now I got a bill from the vet for caring for the cat. Do I really have to pay treatment for a cat that doesn't belong to me?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

If you find a pet which does not belong to you, you are required to search for its owner (via pamphlets or classified ads, for example) or to declare the animal at the cantonal veterinary center.

Until the pet's owner can be found, you are obligated to provide the pet with food, shelter and veterinary care.

However, the pet owner is responsible for all costs associated with caring for their pet, and once they are found they must pay all outstanding bills or reimburse all costs. If they have pet insurance, this insurance may cover part of the veterinary bills.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Interactive pet insurance comparison
Cat insurance explained
Dog insurance explained
Veterinary insurance: The costs explained