What happens to my Swiss pension fund when I become unemployed?

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me exactly what would happen to my pension fund savings if I quit my job?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

When you leave a Swiss employer and become unemployed, you will normally have to open a vested benefits account at a bank or take out a vested benefits life insurance policy. You must then ask your occupational pension fund (2a) to transfer your second pillar assets to your vested benefits solution. Your assets remain in the vested benefits solution and ideally accrue interest until you join another pension fund.

If you leave your employer and become self-employed, you can choose between cashing out your pension fund assets or placing them in a vested benefits solution. Cashing out your pension fund savings can make sense if, for example, you plan to use 3a retirement savings accounts to fund your retirement.

Voluntary occupation pension plans, sometimes referred to as "2b" pension plans, are another solution. These enable you to continue contributing to your second pillar savings as a self-employed or unemployed individual. A number of voluntary occupational pension plans are offered by the Substitute Occupational Benefit Institution and by Agrisano.

Best regards from Moneyguru