What is the process to register as an EU employee

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• Benutzernamejim.alsop
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit8/3/20
  • Beiträge1

I have just moved to Lausanne on a B permit that states I do not have the right to work. My fiancee has been living and working here for 10 years and is still a Russian citizen. I travel back to London, UK for 3-4 days each fortnight to work for a UK company as a software consultant. Reading the other forum posts I gather I should not pay the base social insurance (pillar 1) here in Switzerland but in the UK as a UK employee.

1. How and where do I register this with the Swiss authorities?

2. What do I need to give them?

3. If I did any home-based work on the UK projects while physically in Switzerland would it make any difference?

Many thanks in advance, your forum has been super helpful so far.

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi jim-alsop,

If you as an EU citizen live in Switzerland but work for an EU employer, you and your employer are subject to the social security schemes of your employer's country of domicile (the UK). Currently, the UK still falls under the bilateral social security treaty between Switzerland and the EU, on a provisional basis. You should make sure that your UK employer has properly registered you with relevant UK social security schemes and pays/deducts required contributions.

You are exempted from most Swiss social security contributions (with compulsory Swiss health and accident insurance being the primary exception). However, as a resident of Switzerland, you can subscribe to Swiss social security on a voluntary basis. If you choose to do this, you pay all contributions yourself, as your UK employer is not obligated to pay Swiss social security contributions. If you voluntarily subscribe to Swiss social security, you can claim both UK and Swiss social security benefits.

You should automatically be registered at a Swiss social security office when you become resident of Switzerland and receive and AHV number. Your cantonal social security office may require proof that you are employed in the EU (a copy of your employment contract, for example) in order to waive your eligibility for Swiss social security contributions. Consider contacting your municipal office or cantonal social security office and explaining the situation.

Working remotely

Working remotely for a UK employer from Switzerland can impact your social security status. If 25% or more of your work is carried out in Switzerland, you will be subject to Swiss and not to UK social security. Swiss social security offices generally use a lower 20% threshold to avoid overlapping social security liability. In this case, your UK employer must register with a Swiss social security office and pay Swiss social security contributions. Your UK employer can also delegate you to manage the payment of Swiss social security contributions on their behalf, if you agree to this. However, liability for payment of contributions falls on your employer and not on you.

Best regards from Moneyguru