When Does Registered Mail Count as Delivered?

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

Dear sir/madame,

When does a registered letter count as delivered for legal purposes? I was unable to accept a registered letter due to being on holiday at the time it was delivered. When I came come to Switzerland two weeks later and collected the letter at the post office, I found that it was a penalty order for an alleged traffic infringement. The letter was dated twelve days prior to my collecting it, and stated that any disputes must be made within ten days.

My question is: Does a notice period stipulated in a registered letter only begin once the notice has been served, meaning the registered letter has actually been delivered or collected by the recipient? Can I still dispute the allegations even though the notice period has expired?

Thank you for your advice.

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

In the case of penalty orders, the notice period stated begins on the date that the penalty order is served, rather than the date on which it is created or mailed. The notice is served when you sign for the registered letter and the notice period begins on that date. You can dispute penalty orders within the notice period.

Best regards from Moneyguru