Withholding tax in Swizerland

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

When is withholding tax levied in Switzerland? How high are these taxes?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

Withholding taxes are put in place to guarantee that money is set aside for taxes.

In Switzerland, federal withholding taxes are deducted from capital gains, interest earned on securities and bond yields (35% witholding tax). They are also deducted from lottery winnings (35% withholding tax), pensions and annuities (15% withholding tax) and insurance benefits (8% witholding tax).

A withholding tax known as the "tax at source" is deducted directly from the salaries on temporary residents employed in Switzerland.

After you file your tax returns, part of the money deducted as withholding tax may be reimbursed if the amount withheld is higher than the amount you owe in taxes.

Best regards from Moneyguru

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

I have a question about withholding tax on interest and dividends. I have a euro fixed deposit account in an EU country on which I earn a fairly high interest rate. The problem is that the bank deducts the withholding tax (around 20%) from my interest. How can I claim this withholding tax back? I do not live in that country, so I can't imagine I would have to pay taxes there. Any info would be appreciated.

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

Switzerland has bilateral tax agreements with many countries, including all EU member countries. Individual tax agreements vary, but typically allow you to reclaim a portion of withholding tax on interest or dividends from the Swiss Federal Tax Administration.

You can only reclaim the portion of withholding taxes which would be due if the interest or dividends had been earned in Switzerland. If the withholding tax in the country in which yields are earned is higher than that of Switzerland, you will not be able to reclaim the difference between the Swiss and foreign tax rate.

In order to reclaim withholding tax from the Federal Tax Administration, you will have to complete and submit the forms R/CH - I/2 (interest) or R/CH - I/1a (dividends).

Best regards from Moneyguru