Boat insurance in Switzerland

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

I just bought a small yacht to enjoy on weekends, but before I put it on the water I want to make sure I am properly insured. What isnurance should/must I have?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Greetings,

All boats powered by either a motor or by more than 15 square meters of sail are required by Swiss law to be covered by liability boat insurance. This insurance covers the cost of injuries to other people and damages to other people's property caused by your boat. You will not be able to license your boat before getting this insurance.

In addition to liability insurance, you may also want to take out semi-comprehensive boat insurance which covers damages to your boat caused by natural hazards, fire, theft and vandalism. Fully-comprehensive insurance includes collision insurance, which covers damages to your boat when you have an accident for which you are at fault.

Boat passenger insurance covers injuries to you and your guests while on your boat and, on some policies, certain pets as well. Note that accident insurance is compulsory for Swiss residents, so unless you or other passengers are not resident in Switzerland, you will not usually need this coverage.

There are major differences in the premiums charged by different insurance providers, so get as many quotes as possible before settling on a policy.

Non-motorized boats and sailboats with less than 15 square meters of sail are normally covered by Swiss household insurance policies. If your boat falls under this category, check your household insurance policy to find out whether it covers your boat or whether you can get the coverage as an extra insurance rider.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Car insurance comparison
Semi-comprehensive insurance explained
Fully-comprehensive insurance explained