Car damaged by garage

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

After collecting my car from the mechanics I noticed a couple of nasty scratches which weren't there before. How should I go about claiming insurance? Is the garage liable to pay for the damage or should my car insurance cover repairs?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

If the garage in question accepts the fault for the damages, they can claim coverage for the cost of having your vehicle repaired from their commercial liability insurance.

If they are not willing to accept fault for the scratches and you cannot prove that they are at fault (in a court of law, for example), then the scratches will become your problem.

If you have fully-comprehensive car insurance or parked car insurance, your insurer should cover the repair.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Guide to insuring against parked car damages

• Benutzernamemohsinmajestic
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit4/28/21
  • Beiträge1

After collecting my car from the mechanics I noticed a couple of nasty scratches which weren't there before. How should I go about claiming insurance? Is the garage liable to pay for the damage or should my car insurance cover repairs?

I am facing a similar situation and want some advice from you, did you able to get some compensation from a garage or cover all-expense by yourself. I have mechanic insurance as well separately 

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi mohsinmajestic,

If you have proof that the garage is responsible for the damages, or it the garage acknowledges its responsibility, then the garage is liable to cover the damages. Your car insurance provider is not liable in this case.

In the event that the garage does not accept liability and/or there is lack of proof, you have two options:

1. If your car insurance includes parked car damages insurance, damages by unknown parties while the car is parked are covered by this insurance. Parked car damages insurance is typically included in collision car insurance.
  2. If you do not have parked car damages insurance, you can claim on the Swiss National Guarantee Fund (NGF). In this case, you have to cover damages up to 1000 francs (the deductible) out of your own pocket. The NGF covers costs in excess of the deductible.

Best regards from Moneyguru