Loan in Switzerland for German resident

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

I am German and live in Germany, near the border with Switzerland. How can I get a loan at a Swiss bank? What do I have to do?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

As a general rule, Swiss lenders only provide loans to people who reside in Switzerland. Some also provide loans to residents of Liechtenstein.

Loan applications from German nationals residing in Switzerland will normally be considered as long as the applicant holds a Swiss C permit (permanent residence). Many lenders also provide loans to holders of a B permit (temporary residence), but may impose additional criteria. For example a B permit holder may have to reside in Switzerland for over 1 year before certain lenders will accept them as a customer. Residents with an L permit may also be able to get loans under some circumstances.

Exception: Cross-border workers. If you work in Switzerland, some Swiss banks will provide you with a loan as long as you meet requirements. Residents can find loans which they may be eligible for by selecting their residence permit type in the unbiased loan comparison on moneyland.ch.

More on this topic:
Interactive personal loan comparison
Interactive loan calculator
What do personal loans really cost?
Personal loans in Switzerland: 11 things you should know
Lombard loans explained