Using a credit card to pay debts

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

I have serious debts. Is there any way I can use a credit card to pay my debts. Does it make sense? What would it cost?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Although it is possible to use a credit card to get money for debt repayments, doing so is not a smart financial move.

A credit card may seem to be a convenient and discreet way to access money fast and getting a cash advance to avoid defaulting on a debt repayment can be tempting. However, Swiss credit cards generally have high interest rates so you may end up paying much more to carry credit card debt than you would pay to service your loan.

Refinancing your loan with another personal loan that has a lower interest rate is a better option, and can pay off in some cases. You can use the loan refinancing calculator to check whether or not you could save money by refinancing your loan.

Find out more in our guide to refinancing loans.

More on this topic:
Personal loan comparison
Refinacing: How to replace a loan
Loan refinancing calculator
Credit card comparison