what is the Swiss law regarding inheritance?

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• Benutzernametinamayawaser
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit10/1/17
  • Beiträge1

My father is Swiss living in Switzerland. He is married to a woman who is not biologically related to me. His wife has two children from a previous marriage.

My father and I are estranged and I have always had a horrible relationship with his new wife.

Since my father has a considerable amount of assets, I am wondering what the legalities are re his assets upon his passing.

I know he has a will.

Thank you for your information.

Sincerely,

Tina 

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi Tina,

Inheritance laws in Switzerland are relatively straightforward. Certain legally defined portions of assets must be passed on to legal heirs in a specific order. A clearly defined "free portion" can be left to other beneficiaries through the creation of a will.

You can get an idea of what portion of your father's assets you are entitled to by checking this simple guide to Swiss inheritance rules.

Note that the rules for the succession of retirement assets differ from the standard inheritance rules. You can find more information on this by following the links listed below.

More on this topic:
Inheritance rules for pillar 3a assets
Inheritance rules for pillar 3b assets
Inheritance rules for pension fund (2a) assets
Inheritance rules for vested benefits (2a)