1. Get an overview of current mortgage rates on moneyland.ch. If you want to make an informed decision about a mortgage, it’s important that you know what’s on offer. Choosing the right mortgage can save you thousands of francs each year.
2. Note that the interest rates shown are average rates, and should be used as a guide. The exact rates you get will vary based on a number of factors. Depending on the lender and mortgage offer in question, these factors may include your income, your loan-to-value-ratio, how you score in affordability checks, and the valuation of the property.
3. Request mortgage quotes from a number of lenders and compare their rates and terms.
4. Use the quotes you receive as leverage to bargain with lenders for the best possible mortgage offers.
5. Choosing the lender that offers the lowest rates is not the only deciding factor. The type of mortgage you settle on is at least as important. The 3 most common mortgage-types in Switzerland are fixed rate mortgages, variable rate mortgages and LIBOR-based mortgages.
6. Look into the mortgage discounts offered by some banks. Common cost-cutting deals include energy efficient housing discounts, family discounts, first-time home buyer discounts, and deals for those under 35 years old.
7. Interest rates vary depending on the type of property: Showcased rates typically refer to a property you plan to use as your primary residence. Holiday homes, along with investment and business properties, may command higher mortgage rates.
Swiss mortgages: comparison tool