Can the car insurance company end my insurance contract?

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

Last week after I found that a mouse or some other wild animal had chewed through half the wires and tubes in the engine while the car was parked over a long period. The cost of repairs was breathtaking (this is a pre-Ford era Jag), so I felt lucky to have gotten comprehensive car insurance. The insurance company paid the claim, but then sent me notice that they were ending my policy.

That is not acceptable! I might have been ok with premiums going up a bit. Can the insurance company quit my policy just because I make a claim? It can't be legal.

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

In Switzerland, each party to a contract generally reserves the right to withdraw from the contract following a specified notice period. This applies to insurance policies as well, with compulsory health insurance being one of the few exceptions.

As a general rule, insurers can give notice of termination each time that you file a claim and the benefit is paid out. If your insurer deems that you pose too high a risk, they can withdraw from the insurance contract.

In your case, the high cost of the damages and the obvious risk of damage by wild animals in the location where the car is stored likely led your insurance provider to review their relationship with you. In any case, the insurer must deliver the promised benefit before they withdraw from the contract.

A problem here is that once your insurer has withdrawn from your policy, it is unlikely that other insurers will provide you with the same coverage. For this reason, it is important to carefully consider when the cost of damages warrants an insurance claim and when you would be better off paying out of your own pocket.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Comprehensive car insurance explained
Collision car insurance explained
Car liability insurance explained
Fully-comprehensive car insurance explained